Friday, October 3, 2008
BYU/USU
I have had a couple of days to cool down after my explosion on KVNU's coaches show. Most every night between 5:00-7:00pm, I am driving my kids to and fro. I always listen to "We the People", and usually the "Aggie Coaches Show after that. I admit I am a very outspoken person. That being said, I could not sit and listen to them bash BYU and Riley Nielsen any longer. They were talking about the game tonight between BYU and USU. Background is BYU doesn't even have to play USU. They do it basically as a favor. Last Tuesday night, this radio program played an interview between BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall, and the host of this local program show. The host asked Bronco if BYU went to Riley while on his mission and recruited him to BYU. Bronco responded that BYU did not contact Riley while on his mission. He said that a missionary's time is to be spent serving our Heavenly Father. He said that Riley's family actually contacted BYU and that is how the offer was made for Riley to play for BYU after his mission. He gave such a good interview, and I admit, I am very biased toward coach Mendenhall. (Ethan was so impressed with him after going to the BYU football camp. We also have listened to several firesides he has given.) After the interview had ended, the DJ went on this all out attack on the interview. They said that of course BYU wooed Riley while on his mission. They basically discredited everything the coach had just stated. Well, here Alison steps in. I was on my way to yw activity night. I had Supe in the car with me. I couldn't take the accusations and the name calling anymore. I called and told them that we as a community should all rally around Riley Nielsen and maybe, even go as far as cheering him on when he plays for BYU. I asked the DJ if he had the opportunity to play for a winning team versus a losing team, what he would choose. The DJ said that for sure he would play for USU because of tradition. That got me even more riled up. So for five minutes I went back and forth with this man about BYU. I could go into more detail, but for the sake of us all, I will not elaborate. Now I know that many of my readers are die-hard USU fans. And my qualm was not with the whole BYU/USU rivalry. Honestly, there is no rivalry anymore. We are way out of their league. The only point I was trying to make is that we should support someones decision, instead of tearing them down. What do you think his decision should have been?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blake
- Great Dad
- Work
- Greatest Hubby
- Sense and Sensibility
- Sand dunes
- Strong as the hulk
- work again
- skiier
- vegetables
- 2nd Counselor
- U2
Blake
My favorite person in the whole world!
Christian
"Supe" erman
Supe
- Motorcycling
- Skiing
- motorcycle and ski movies
- enchiladas
- Piano
- Soccer
- wii star wars legos
Rachael
Our Princess
Rachael
- American Girl Dolls
- Snoopy Skiier
- I am a Child of God
- Aqua
- Dancing
- Barbies
- Climber
Ethan
- BYU
- Loves pup
- 3rd Place Beaver Big Air
- Not math
- Lacrosse
- Skiing
- Football
Ethan
EE
4 comments:
Alison, way to go girl! I love it when a woman fires up and speaks her mind! I'm with you. I have great respect for Bronco even though I'm not really a BYU fan. It sounds like the radio host has a terrible case of sour grapes. And, you're absolutely right, no one in their right mind would come to USU to play football over BYU. For pro scout exposure reasons, let alone winning reasons. The only way that 'tradition' even comes into the picture is when all other considerations are fairly equal.
That radio host was off his rocker. Maybe we should approach the station about putting you on the air. That would be awesome!
I have two degrees from BYU, so I'm not an impartial voice. But, it's unfortunate that a radio personality felt the need, apparently, to interject his own feelings.
Hooray Alison! I have to say I totally agree!
Way to go! You are so brave to call up the radio broadcast! It is apparent is anyone with a working brain that you'd have to be an IDIOT to stay at USU if BYU wanted you. I'm curious if anyone else called in and if so, what were their opinions on the subject?
Post a Comment