Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The search is over...

I have searched many weeks for a white dresser.  Rachael has been in need of one for quite some time.  However,  I have been told that I am a bit cheap.  I have looked every single day on KSL for one, I've searched the papers and gone to garage sales.  This last Friday though, I found the perfect one.  I scanned the paper for the upcoming garage sales.  One stated they had a dresser, and they listed their phone number.  I begged to come that very minute because I was to be in some far away city for football the next morning.  They allowed it.  (This may be a helpful note to future garage sale holders.  I think it is very beneficial to leave a phone number listed when advertising the upcoming sale).  Anyway, back to my story.  It was the night of the homecoming game, and the dresser was right above SV.  I told Blake he had to come with me to make the purchase.  The dresser cost me ten dollars.  The knobs were old and brass and gross, but I was thrilled to finally find one.  The day before I was about to give up and spend three hundred smackers on  one.  We decided to grab something to eat to celebrate.  I was sitting at Firehouse pizza, relishing in my new purchase, when I remembered I had friendship bread baking in the oven.  (I think I have early onset alzheimers.)  I called hoping someone would answer at my house.  Ethan was of course hootchy-cooin' with his friends at the game.  Supe and Rachael where home with their friends.  I called and walked Supe through taking the bread out.  That darn amish bread takes ten monotonous days of sitting on my counter before I can bake it.  I was bound and determined not to ruin it.  The excitement of the dresser merely through me off course. 
The next day I went to Lowes, Walmart, and Home Depot to find new knobs.  They were all so expensive.  They would've cost me at least thirty dollars.  I gave up and was settling for the brass beauties.  Then Blake gave me the idea of putting two small knobs instead of finding the big expensive ones.  So back to Lowes I went.  The knobs ended up costing me seven dollars.  The lamp I bought to go on top cost more than the dresser!  Rachael was thrilled, and I was thrifty.  The bread was pretty good too!  

4 comments:

Christie said...

Good job! The dresser is cute and only cost $10 -- it doesn't get better than that! The knobs look great too. I didn't know you were such a bargain shopper. Way to go! (I'll be paying closer attention and gleaning all the money saving tips I can from you in the future!)

Flashlight Girl said...

Yay for you!! It can be so frustrating to be frugal sometimes. I'm glad that you stuck it out, worked hard and exercised your creative juices! The dresser looks great. I'm glad that the bread was rescued, too. I NEVER have made it through the 10 days required for that darn friendship bread. In fact, I've notified any friends and family with any intentions of giving me a start that if they really love me, they will give the start to someone else. Great post! :)

Jill said...

Alison,
It is actually very cute! Way to go, I love it. And in defense of the last writers thoughts on Amish Bread, it is ALWAYS worth the pain of the 10 days! I love it and am hurt you didn't run a slice RIGHT over.

Heidi A. said...

Way to go for you!!! I hope that Blake knows what a good thing he's got in you (in SO many ways!)

We've got a shop-vac, welder, generator and hack saw for sale if you need one. :) :) :)

Blake

  • Great Dad
  • Work
  • Greatest Hubby
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Sand dunes
  • Strong as the hulk
  • work again
  • skiier
  • vegetables
  • 2nd Counselor
  • U2

Blake

Blake
My favorite person in the whole world!

Christian

Christian
"Supe" erman

Supe

  • Motorcycling
  • Skiing
  • motorcycle and ski movies
  • enchiladas
  • Piano
  • Soccer
  • wii star wars legos

Rachael

Rachael
Our Princess

Rachael

  • American Girl Dolls
  • Snoopy Skiier
  • I am a Child of God
  • Aqua
  • Dancing
  • Barbies
  • Climber

Ethan

  • BYU
  • Loves pup
  • 3rd Place Beaver Big Air
  • Not math
  • Lacrosse
  • Skiing
  • Football

Ethan

Ethan
EE