These two darling little girls are members of the church in Ghana. Their dad is a security guard at the temple. He was such a darling man. His blood pressure was like 250/125. He was just a ball of stressed energy. He deeply loved his two little girls. The first night we did a clinic there, he snuck in, (for he was supposed to be keeping guard!), and asked me to check him over. He just is one big grin from ear to ear. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his blood pressure was terrible. I told him to make sure to eat really good, and to get on medicine. Yeah right.
The last day we also did a clinic at this spot. He snuck in again and caught my eye. He had these two little girls, his daughters, behind him. He asked me to check them out also, and then he ran back to his watch. I had been given three of the little dolls pictured on the left. They were a simple pattern found on the LDS humanitarian guide. I saved them and saved them for just the right little girls. I immediately knew these girls needed my last doll. After checking them over and talking to them, I asked them if I could give them something. They nodded. I pulled out my little doll and immediately they both threw there palms to their cheeks. They didn't even know how to react. The happiness was on their faces said it all. I put it into the littlest ones hands with tears in my eyes. They were both hugging it and loving it so much. I also had a little pencil kit that I gave to the older girl. I had just given these to them when their dad came running back to the room to grab them. Without even saying a word, the two girls gave me a huge hug and went running out with their dad. One doll and a pencil kit. How much am I spending on each one of my children this year?
5 comments:
I love these Africa posts! It's good to get perspective on what a material world we live in here in America. You can see why the sin of ingratitude would be so jarring to our Heavenly Father. We aren't all blessed with the same material goods, how terrible to be ungrateful for what we receive -- whether big or small. Bless you. (And am thankful for you too!)
Wonderful, touching post.
How lucky you were to be able to bring such joy to this family!
Thank you, Allie. Yesterday, I was stopped by a man looking for money for something (I don't remember what). Generally I don't carry very much cash on me so my immediate answer was, "sorry." When my husband and I got to the car, I found a couple of dollars in the cupholder. We drove back and gave him the money. Now I know that maybe he won't use it "wisely" but really, does it matter? I was driving home with a car full of groceries with my darling husband by my side. I was wearing warm boots, a coat and was head back to a warm cozy home. Sometimes it makes me so sad to see the inequality among us. I often wonder why am I so blessed when others are living such a precarious existence. I'm grateful to people like you who have an opportunity to bless lives not only by your service, but by your sharing of your experiences with the rest of us. Thank you! I'm also glad to know where those dolls go! My ward work on some a few months back. I am thrilled with the outcome!
Alison,
What a great thing to think about on Christmas Day. I wish so badly I could be in Africa and hand out all the gifts just Jacey got that haven't even been opened or given a second look today. Thanks for the post. Jill
Hey Allison! I just wanted to say thanks so much for the gift you made for my family! I totally love it!! It matches my house perfectly! Everyone was super jealous of it so I had to hide it so they wouldnt steal it! Hope you guys had an awesome holiday!
Karen
Post a Comment