Sunday, December 7, 2008

Temple

I know you may get sick of hearing about my trip.  In my next few posts, I can't help but share some of my faith-building experiences.  The man in this picture is from Nigeria.  I met him on the temple grounds in Ghana.  He was staying at the temple lodging for a week doing back to back sessions.  He has saved for two years to be able to come to the temple.  Two years!  He lives in Nigeria with his wife, twin sons, and a younger son.  They live in a one room home.  It is 10X12 feet.  While we were talking he told me that his wife was very sick with malaria.  He is in the branch presidency in their little ward in Nigeria.  He told me that he was trying to get a small keyboard for their meetinghouse.  Upon talking to him, I realized how grateful I should be for the small things in life.  I am grateful that I had a big beautiful organ to sing to this morning at church.  
Most of all, he strengthened my testimony of the temple.  I marvel at his willingness to save for two years, the equivalent of 30,000 US dollars, to be able to make the trip from Nigeria to Ghana.  Do I have that dedication?  I have a temple two miles away from my home.  I wake up and look out my big front window at it every morning.  I wonder if I am sacrificing enough to attend the temple regularly.  I told him how grateful I was for his example.  He smiled and said he must hurry and eat so he can get back.  Wow.

3 comments:

Christie said...

Wow! I'm loving your posts on Africa. It's great to get perspective on what matters most. Thanks. (Don't forget to pick me up on your way to the temple tomorrow.)

Jill said...

Wowsers,
That is quite the story of faith and dedication. I am thankful (as I read it) that I was able to go to the temple this moring. And need to appreciate more the ease we have of going. My biggest stress is a babysitter. How about having to save for 2 years and leave your family and travel so far. Wow. That was neat to hear. And makes you stop and ponder about our lives.

Flashlight Girl said...

Great post! We are so blessed to live so close. I often wonder what kind of excuse will be acceptable for not going when we are at the bar on Judgement Day. When compared to your Nigerian friend, any excuse I can come up with is just lame. Thanks for the motivator! More Africa trip posts, please!

Blake

  • Great Dad
  • Work
  • Greatest Hubby
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Sand dunes
  • Strong as the hulk
  • work again
  • skiier
  • vegetables
  • 2nd Counselor
  • U2

Blake

Blake
My favorite person in the whole world!

Christian

Christian
"Supe" erman

Supe

  • Motorcycling
  • Skiing
  • motorcycle and ski movies
  • enchiladas
  • Piano
  • Soccer
  • wii star wars legos

Rachael

Rachael
Our Princess

Rachael

  • American Girl Dolls
  • Snoopy Skiier
  • I am a Child of God
  • Aqua
  • Dancing
  • Barbies
  • Climber

Ethan

  • BYU
  • Loves pup
  • 3rd Place Beaver Big Air
  • Not math
  • Lacrosse
  • Skiing
  • Football

Ethan

Ethan
EE